Have ever felt like the person in this image? If your head is on your desk and your workload is growing as you read this, there is one thing you need to try. We call it ‘Maintaining’.
Unfortunately ‘Maintaining’ is a Type of Work that not many people seem to have a preference for. In fact, out of over 300,000 people we found that approximately 2% have it as their major preference. ‘Maintaining’ is one of eight critical work functions you need to do to be high-performing. It involves preserving systems, values and behaviours to ensure they are sustainable.
A lack of ‘Maintaining’ can lead to stress, worn out infrastructure and a disengaged workforce, among other things. If you and/or your organisation is suffering from a lack of this, here are some tips to try:
As an individual, try some 'Maintaining' tasks such as:
- review your workload,
- re-evaluate your skill set, and
- review customer values.
From an organisation’s perspective, 'Maintaining' can involve:
- corporate governance,
- reviewing OH&S, and
- shaping culture.
The question is, if not many people like 'Maintaining' work, how can we ensure it gets done?
Here are some questions to get you thinking about how you address 'Maintaining' work as a leader:
- What does your team value?
- How do you help your team learn from their mistakes?
- How motivated and satisfied are your team members?
- Do you walk the talk by following organisational values?
- Does your team feel safe and treated with fairness and equity?
- What is most important to you and your team? Do you align with your team?
What tips do you have to help maintain yourself and your team?